Friday, May 10, 2019

Trail of Lightning, by Rebecca Roanhorse

Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The only other work of Roanhorse's that I have read is her award nominated story from last year, "Welcome To Your Authentic Indian Experience". That one was very subtle, much more layered, and much more relaxed. None of that here. Maggie Hoskie is a full-on female superhero. The Sixth World is fantasy in a Navajo (Dine) setting, which sets wonderfully far apart from werewolves, vampires, zombies, and elves. We get a lot of hints about how that world emerged after the Big Water, the earthquake that sundered America, that leave me wanting more.

I have to say I miss that subtlety. Maggie Hoskie ends up pretty one-dimensional, though her partner, Kai, has a bit more depth. He's pretty much a feminist ideal man--gorgeous to look at, non-violent, yet very strong and powerful in his own way as a medicine man and healer. Overall it's a pretty bleak story, though I think there's room for optimism as the Dine overcame incredible hardship to have it as good as they do.

I have the feeling this series is going to get better as it goes along, as Roanhorse brings the subtlety she is capable of into the plotting.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...