Monday, February 10, 2020

Planetfall, by Emma Newman

Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)Planetfall by Emma Newman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I read this one since I'm thinking about catching up the series. It didn't start off as a real grabber, so I understand some of the negative reviews, but after a few chapters I got into what the author was doing. The real meat of this story is protagonist Ren's (Renata Ghali) struggle with keeping a secret about the way the colony was founded, and what this costs her. The price she is paying gets ever more clear as it goes along. One of the better depictions of PTSD induced mental illness (in this case hoarding) that I have read. Some have been disappointed in the ending--I was not, because I expected it to lead up to more books. Interesting storytelling and well-set speculation. I wasn't sure if I would catch this one up but it's now in strong consideration.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...