Saturday, August 8, 2020

The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow

As this book got rolling, I really began to enjoy it. The prose is a bit self-conscious, but January Scaller is a fine protagonist, at the end truly grounded in herself and very honest with the reader all the way through. The plot twists nicely and the story thoroughly explores how hard it is to go against one's instincts, and against someone you love and loves you, even if you must. I am glad I read it.

But I do have my misgivings. Seanan McGuire has been doing a YA series on magical doors that lead to fantastic places and appear to only certain people, and that series has been up for most of the same awards. The style of prose is even similar, kind of flowing and self-conscious in the same way. Maybe I have had enough of Doors? Possibly I have even had enough of people who have decided, against all evidence, to believe in magical things. We have a lot of that going on right now and it has gotten us nowhere good.  

My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...