Wednesday, October 18, 2023

A Mirror Mended, by Alix E. Harrow

I have to say I didn't immediately connect this to the first book in the series--the opening makes more sense now. I actually liked this one better than the first, because I enjoyed the interaction between Zinnia (from Sleeping Beauty) and the Evil Queen in Snow White (I was particularly affected by the fact that the Queen has no name). The derivative nature of the story is a feature, not a problem, which makes it hard to give a raving review for me. But Harrow has enough new and interesting things to say about what it means to make your own story that I can give it 4 stars. There are plenty of fables out there for this treatment and they will make a comfortable living, which I hope Harrow uses to push off into something more ambitious.

My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...