Monday, November 6, 2023

Where the Drowned Girls Go, by Seanan McGuire

I mostly liked this entry in the series. It's not my demographic or normal reading fare, but the stories are well told and keep me turning pages. This installment keeps most of the formula, but we're revisiting a character (Cora the mermaid of size) and getting to see that other school, the one for children who do not have good experiences with their Door.

I enjoyed seeing things through Cora's eyes. This series is useful for me to understand the world from a young woman's perspective. Except that the author is no longer young (not old either), so it definitely now feels like a reflection on childhood by a very connected, sympathetic adult.

Sadly, we don't get to see the real Whitethorn Institute. The ending does not live up to the setup and I'm left a bit sad that we haven't gotten a better portrayal of those who do not want their doors to reclaim them.

I'm sure this series will continue to get award nominations, so I'll likely keep reading it and not be disappointed in doing so. But I'm looking forward to a time when Seanan McGuire decides to take some time writing a book that grapples with an adult plot. AI is going to catch up to formula writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...