Wednesday, July 17, 2024

The Space Between Worlds, by Micaiah Johnson

I liked this book quite a lot, though it has its flaws. The setup is good for storytelling--there's a technology that allows access to the multiverse, but only a limited number of them, so you don't go completely off the rails with possibilities. I am seeing from some DNF reviews that they thought plot elements were missing--like the protagonist and Dell's very complicated romance, which was perfectly clear to me.

I had a better time with the book once I accepted the fact that the science and the action, while present, take a back seat to the main character's introspection. Most of the writing is about Caralee's dialogue with herself. She tells us, in great detail, both the backstory and current motivations for everything she is doing. There were more than enough plot reveals to keep that introspection relevant and interesting. Johnson uses, but doesn't overuse, the multiverse as a way to introduce surprises.

Race and class are central to understanding Caralee. The contrasts between those inside Wiley City and outside in Ashtown are made very clear and iterated over and over. It ends up feeling a bit one-dimensional as an exploration of race and class difference. But I will say that Caralee doesn't ever give in to holding herself up as some kind of example because of her circumstance. She is very clear about all the compromises she is making to survive.

Overall a bit of a grind but worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

System Collapse, by Martha Wells

I read all of these as soon as I can get to them, but I have to say that the formula is wearing a bit. Wells is trying to add some dimension...