Tuesday, September 3, 2024

System Collapse, by Martha Wells

I read all of these as soon as I can get to them, but I have to say that the formula is wearing a bit. Wells is trying to add some dimensions to Murderbot by having him be more vulnerable, and that works to a certain extent. He's made it from one- to two-dimensional. The action in the series is great, always compelling. What's leaving me itchy is that her commitment to telling the story entirely from Murderbot's perspective leaves the humans in the shallows. Murderbot's relationship to them is as a protector, by programming. He can indulge their illogical behavior as being silly, and commit to protecting them from and in spite of themselves, but it's pretty much impossible to tell one human from another outside of their skill sets.


Wells is a very good author and I expect that the series will acquire depth if she commits to it. It will be hard to put down since it's been so successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

System Collapse, by Martha Wells

I read all of these as soon as I can get to them, but I have to say that the formula is wearing a bit. Wells is trying to add some dimension...