Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Penric's Demon, by Lois McMaster Bujold

Penric's Demon is part of a new subseries within Bujold's World of the Five Gods.  My library ordered a copy, but I believe it's been lost, and paper copies of this one are hard to come by.  So I paid 4 bucks to read it on Kindle, not quite free.

But still fun.  The title character is a minor son of a minor lordling, trying to make his way in the world.  He has some estate rights and is betrothed to a cute and somewhat rich girl, so things are going along pretty well.  Then he stops to help a fallen Divine on the road, and ends up in possession of her demon.

Penric has promise as a hero, he's a pretty quintessential Nice Guy, a contrast to the Hallowed Hunt's Ingrey.  He is going to try to enlist his demon, rather than master it.  He's off to a promising start.

I give it 3 stars as a readable fantasy romance.  Bujold knows how to make those exciting.

This also completes my reading of the Hugo Novella nominees.  I'd have given it to Branden Sanderson's Perfect State, but the nod went to Binti by Nnedi Okorafor.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...