Monday, January 29, 2018

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O, by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have my ups and downs with Neal Stephenson. I couldn't finish the Baroque Cycle, but I seem to have enjoyed Seveneves more than most. Seveneves may have had some stiff dialog but it was full of ideas. This book has one idea. Which is spun into a plot that goes on for 750 pages. If it could somehow have been concentrated down to about half that length (and I think it could have been) it would be an award contender. As is, not sure.

I liked the book and never got tired of reading it as I went along. I think what struck me that perhaps did not stand out to others is the sort of "dated" feel of it. The characters are standard-issue types from maybe 10 years or so ago, with no self-consciousness so it can't be intentional. Tristan is a kind of stiff hero type, and Melisande slips into sexy damsel mode a little too easily. You can almost see the consideration of the movie possibilities of a time travel method that causes travelers to become naked.

(view spoiler)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...