Friday, January 25, 2019

Ka: Dar Oakley In the Ruins of Ymr, by John Crowley

Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of YmrKa: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by John Crowley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


There's a lot of strong elements in this book that got me to finish it. Dar Oakley is a great character, a Crow who ends up with a fair amount of People rubbing off on him--he is aware of it and concerned the whole time. Crowley told the tale from the perspective of someone listening to Dar Oakley tell his story, so it's a Crow perspective filtered through a human, and he gets that right. The prose is lovely, it may be just a bit old fashioned now but it's wonderful to read. The story of Dar Oakley's long, long life is wonderful and mysterious.
(view spoiler)

But oh, the pace. There's a whole lot of words here for what is actually accomplished, and even though they are good words they are too many. This book could be about a third shorter and be better. The action does not really build to a conclusion, so the interest in the book is in how it rolls out, and I began to tire about halfway through. The payoff was just not adequate for so much reading. Overall I'm glad I read it, but I am left wanting at least some of my life back.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...