Friday, July 19, 2019

Binti: The Night Masquerade

The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3)The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


By the third entry in this series I think I finally got my head around it, and the other two books became more enjoyable on reflection. Binti's world and story are completely different from other alien/space travel stories, even though they intersect in a lot of places. Living ships and hard-to-understand aliens are standard stuff. But seen through the Himba cultural lens (as told by a writer of Igbo descent) the emphasis changes--things that might seem important to us careful readers elsewhere (lots of dangling plot points--(view spoiler)) might not be so important. Phones are bespoke and intimately tuned to their users (this feels a bit dated, in that it is happening now).

I felt like this series was more disjointed than the other book I read by Okorafor, Who Fears Death. The world in that book was like Binti's, and challenged the reader, but it all made sense. Still, the persistence paid off and I ended up enjoying it.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...