Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Freeze Frame Revolution, by Peter Watts

The Freeze-Frame RevolutionThe Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Well...of the other stories in the Sunflower Cycle I have only read The Island, and I don't remember it well, and also I have not decoded the red letters in the book. With those caveats, I have to say that I liked the story a lot and can highly recommend it. Watts' very intellectualized and engaged pessimism about human nature leads him to write interestingly layered plots and characters. The plot itself reminds me of another book featuring a rebellion across time--I thought it was Vernor Vinge's A Deepness In the Sky but I can't confirm it. Sunday as a heroine struck me as very brave and real. It's a fine and satisfying read on its own--probably would feel more complete if I read it in with the others in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...