Sunday, April 4, 2021

Luna: Moon Rising, by Ian McDonald

When I finished New Moon (the 2nd book), I had become fascinated but also somewhat frustrated and worn out with this story. It felt like there were no grownups present--the members of the Dragons, the 5 oligarchies that ran the Moon, broke big expensive things in extravagant feuds without regard for consequences for their employees. It seemed like half the Moon made a living as soldiers (blades or dusters) in the various private armies. All with very colorful names (escoltas, jackaroos, etc) to make it seem very cool.

The start of the third book was kind of awkward and made me think the trend was going to continue. The violence gets ever more picturesque. But as the story goes along, some human elements finally emerge, and those human elements get handled very well at the end. It made me happy that I had persevered and read the whole series. Character development that seemed tedious to me on first reading explains itself as I think about the ending. All in all, good stuff.

I am not surprised to see that this series was optioned for television--it's very visual, and a feud of wealthy and beautiful families always seems like it's going to be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...