Saturday, June 19, 2021

Ring Shout, by P. Djeli Clark

Ring Shout is in the horror/fantasy category, but I really began to enjoy it when I started to read it as a fable. The way the book works through its moral arc leads directly to its final lesson, that if we give back all the hate we receive then we lose ourselves in hatred. Come for the great storytelling but stay for the history--Clark has all his ducks in a row and delivers a real education in with the fable. The Gullah translations were really valuable to me. You kind of see things coming, but if you let go of the notion that you shouldn't then you will fully enjoy the book. TIL what a Ring Shout is, and I am better for it.

My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...