I'm going to give it a 3.5 and round up. This is a pretty good story as retellings go. If you're not familiar with the original story then the pretty clear telegraphing of the root cause of the Fall of the House of Usher takes away from it a bit. Recasting the protagonist as a non-binary soldier is a solid move. So overall I enjoyed it.
So this is the first in a series. Where else is Easton going to go? We shall see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Death of the Author, by Nnedi Okorafor
I think I'm going to agree with others and say that this isn't a science fiction book. But it's getting a lot of SF award nomina...
-
I'm starting on the novella nominations for Nebula, and began with The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe . This is her commentary on The Dream...
-
There are some interesting theories out there on what Gene Wolfe's "The Ziggurat" short story means . Indeed, Wolfe is heavil...
-
The introduction to Slow Tuesday Night is by Gardner Dozios, the great editor, and he tells us that "only those stories that were the ...
No comments:
Post a Comment