Tuesday, April 16, 2019

A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies, by Alix P. Harrow

Apex Magazine Issue 105Apex Magazine Issue 105 by Jason Sizemore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Review for A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies.

Librarians as magical figures are a staple in fantasy literature, and I think the reasons are easy enough to discern--most writers spend a lot of time in them and develop a real attachment to the atmosphere. I am a serious library user myself, but am also a librarian, and am pretty sure our magic is confined to locating books right in front of the noses of patrons (I no longer practice and have lost some of the mojo--a library aide did this for me just the other day). The idea of books responding to the patrons (in ways only the librarians can see) was a fun one. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and would recommend it to anyone.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...