Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Vital Abyss, by James S. A. Corey

The Vital Abyss (The Expanse, #5.5)The Vital Abyss by James S.A. Corey

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a decent read, but pretty dark stuff. The protagonist is able to reflect very dispassionately on his experiences, because he made a decision to have his empathy centers cut out. Now he has empathy for no one, including himself. There's a few connections to the main line of the story--the only one I could identify was Michio Pa from Cibola Burn. I struggled with where in the timeline the story goes--it's published after Nemesis Games, but the action definitely takes place before it. Still, I think the ending is going to explain some things that happen later in the series.

That said, it doesn't seem like an essential read unless, like me, you are compulsive about reading complete series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...