Wednesday, September 2, 2020

A Dead Djinn In Cairo, by P. Djèlí Clark

I read this to prepare for reading The Haunting of Tram Car 015. Am glad I did, because the story is a great introduction to this world. A universe that combines humanity adjusting to magical beings with Cairo as the most influential city in the world, and Egypt as a great power, has all kinds of great possibilities, and I think the era setting (right after the Gilded Age) is a great choice as well. Perhaps this world will not have a Great Depression. The story is fine, it's a good detective tale and introduces the protagonist (Special Investigator Fatma el-Sha’arawi) very well, though it's a bit predictable. Definitely makes you want more, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.  

My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...