Friday, September 4, 2020

The Haunting of Tram Car 015, by P. Djèlí Clark

 I liked this story, perhaps more than the star rating will suggest. It's a good solid tale in a world with incredible promise. Inspector Nasr and his protege Onsi are reasonably engaging fellows, and there's a feel-good subplot on women's suffrage in Egypt included. The story is small in scope (a single haunt of a single tram car) rather than the world-threatening event of the first story, and there's a certain self-consciousness about that reflected in it. I just have to say that I was just a little disappointed that, having my appetite whetted by the highly flavorful Fatma el-Sha’arawi, I had to settle for the somewhat more bready Nasr and Onsi for the subsequent course. But the world itself will keep me and others coming back.


My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...