Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm Alive, I Love You, I'll See You In Reno, by Vylar Kaftan

Lightspeed Magazine's debut story involves the trope of light speed, and romance.  I'm Alive, I Love You, I'll See You In Reno is a letter and a history, of lovers that can't be together and yet influence each other when apart.  The protagonists are swapping near-lightspeed trips to nearby stars, they keep just missing each other or are only together a short time.  It's good stuff, but the SF component is somewhat optional.  You couldn't set this story anywhere near the present, but it could just as easily have been set in the 1500s, though having the woman depart on a long sea voyage would have been harder at that time.  It is a nice, meditative piece, worth the time to read.  3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...