Monday, February 11, 2013

Freudian Slip, by Franklin Abel

I decided to go back to an old habit and start at the beginning of the alphabet, since I didn't have anything else I wanted to read at the time.  The beginning of the alphabet at Free SF Online, that is, and by author.  And thus I read Franklin Abel's Freudian Slip.  Psychology isn't too common as a science backdrop, though Asimov's Foundation series has it at its core.  More specifically, perhaps, that old-fashioned psychoanalysis, decidedly unscientific as it is, gets used that way.  But Abel does so here, and he is entertaining to boot--a nice wry sense of humor.  We also get epistemological questions that come up again repeatedly--are we real, or just a part of someone's dream (if a computer, The Matrix--if a demon, then Piers Anthony's Xanth series has a reference.  I am too lazy now to give you a link, go Google them if you are curious)?  Anyway, a fun little read.  3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...