Saturday, May 12, 2018

Jade City, by Fonda Lee

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)Jade City by Fonda Lee

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Fonda Lee says this is her first adult novel, and the YA roots show just a little bit. But there's very little not to like about the book. As a writer she has mastered the art, and knows how to structure and tell a compelling story.

The setting is Asian, but the flavor is mild beyond the names. It could be set anywhere that clans dominate socially, which is at some point almost anywhere at all (except maybe America). The geography is entirely made up, but culturally it's earth. Reminds me of another Nebula nominee this year, Amberlough.

Like Amberlough, it took me a bit to get into this one. At times the emotions are described rather than depicted, which is where those YA roots show. But the characterization really carries the book. I got invested enough to feel for all of them. Most folks are giving it a 4 or 5 (with the predictable clinkers), but I can't give it more than a 3 because I've read this book before, many times. It's very enjoyable as a clan and family action novel, and you won't feel like you want that part of your life back if you read it. So go for it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...