Monday, January 30, 2012

Firefly, directed by Joss Whedon

I took a break from reading for awhile to watch a TV series, something I haven't done in 10 years or so.  I prefer my fiction in words.  But I got a pretty strong  recommendation to watch Firefly, and have followed stories on it since it came out in 2002, so I went for it.  The link is to the Amazon Streaming Video page.  It's a mild (OK not so mild) stretch of "free", but it was free to me as I am a Prime subscriber (well worth it for prepaid 2-day shipping).  In reading about it and seeing the sequence of the releases, it was pretty amazing how badly Fox sabotaged it. 

Did I enjoy it?  Yes, watched all 14 episodes over 15 nights.  And I think it improved the experience to see it in its intended sequence.  But did it rock my world, like the devoted fans?  Not quite that much.  I think the Western aspect ends up being overplayed, to the point where the poor folk in the outer reaches are somehow making it as an aesthetic choice that is more than a fad.  Outland managed the ethos without the affected style.  And since I saw Gunsmoke and Bonanza growing up, the characters weren't showing me a lot that was new.  But the action is good, and most of the characters are appealing.  If you are an SF fan and have not seen it, it does not take long to get a sense of what it's about.  Not near the commitment of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Lost.  3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Water Outlaws, by S. L. Huang

According to the introduction this book is intended to evoke "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (thought that title is not explicitl...