Saturday, January 7, 2012

Shoe and Marriage, by Kelly Link

Shoe and Marriage is part of Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen collection, and was nominated for a World Fantasy Award in 2001.  In order to convey a large message, a short story has to be poetic, or cryptic, or both.  I would say that Shoe and Marriage is on the cryptic side.  The shoe is a metaphor for all things we care deeply about, mostly children.  Not to make you think it is sweet--it's mostly pretty dark.  I think her fans would find it worth reading, I myself will have to consider whether I did or not.  2 stars, in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Roswell, by Connie Willis

This is a rom-com, a nice relaxing read. I think Connie Willis could have put more into it than that, but in the end it's pretty much a ...